At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment because we believe there is a better way to watch. Our international efforts have brought Netflix’s service and award-winning Originals programming to viewers in over 190 countries. Netflix seeks an experienced copyright attorney to help our business and creative teams navigate the complex rights deals for IP that underlie Netflix’s Originals programming.
As a member of the Content & Brand IP Team, you will support vital components of our intellectual property practice, and be an integral resource for Netflix’s business and production teams. Your expert eye for detail and exceptional organizational talents mean that you excel at quickly piecing together the jigsaw puzzle of a complex rights situation. You are excited about the challenge of making a wide-variety of programs around the world, including in places where the law and entertainment industries are still developing. You think outside the box, challenge long-standing assumptions, and look for opportunities to innovate. You are adept at pragmatically analyzing risk, and you confidently communicate across all levels of the business. The successful candidate will be one who loves working in an environment where freedom and responsibility are tenets, and passion and curiosity are mandates. The role is ideal for someone who is comfortable in a constantly changing environment. The role will be based in Los Angeles.
- Conduct chain of title analysis, and provide concise and pragmatic advice.
- Conduct due diligence on complex rights acquisitions and grants.
- Implement efficient workflows for chain of title review.
- Keep apprised of domestic and international copyright developments and adjust Netflix’s copyright-related practices accordingly.
- Train internal attorneys and staff about chain of title and copyright transfer issues.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with international counsel and outside vendors.
- The successful candidate will have a JD degree and 6+ years of transactional copyright experience in the media industry, including chain of title review.
- Understanding of U.S. and international copyright law, termination rights, moral rights, guild-related restrictions on rights transfers, and the development process for filmed entertainment.
- A deep knowledge of the entertainment industry, the players, and existing difficult rights situations.
- Unparalleled organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail.
- Tech-savvy individual, including proficiency with cloud-based document and database systems.
- Clear, concise communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and creative thinking.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight time frames in a fast-paced environment.
- Curious and eager to tackle matters outside area of expertise.