Studio71 is the global media company for top creators across YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, and Twitter.
Studio71 is one of the largest social video producers (12,000 videos a month) and distributors reaching 1 in 3 Americans a month. They are able to do this because of the extensive knowledge of the landscape, working directly with the most premium digital content, across any and all social platforms with the biggest names in the social space: Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Will Smith, Lilly Singh, Rhett & Link, World Star Hip Hop, Grace Helbig, Mayim Bialik and more
The company is a leader in results-driven branded content, offering full–service strategy, creative, research, media, and cross-platform activations for its clients.
It is part of Red Arrow Studios and is headquartered in Los Angeles with offices in Berlin, New York, Toronto and London.
Studio71 seeks an entertainment/digital media attorney to join its business and legal affairs team in Los Angeles, CA. The successful candidate will be responsible for negotiating and drafting a wide variety of agreements for new media, television, and film, including content development, rights acquisition, production, licensing, and distribution. In addition, the candidate will be asked to contribute in other key areas of Studio71’s business, including talent relations, media sales, brand integrations, and other commercial agreements.
The ideal candidate should be confident and comfortable with handling transactions without precedent and providing legal advice to employees on a variety of legal and business issues. This position is best suited for those who thrive in a fast-paced environment and have an entrepreneurial/start-up mentality.
- Draft and negotiate above and below-the-line agreements for film, television and other audiovisual projects.
- Review, draft and negotiate development agreements, such as rights acquisition agreements (e.g., options, shopping agreements co-production agreements, etc.)
- Oversee the process of drafting and negotiating production contracts and releases including talent and participant agreements, materials releases, guest appearance releases, and location releases.
- Oversee clearance of projects, such as drafting and negotiating licensing agreements with respect to use of third-party content, conducting review of creative decks, footage, episodes, and films to advise on levels of risk related to copyright, trademark, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of publicity rights, and other potential legal claims.
- Oversee issues related to union/guild (e.g., SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA, IATSE, etc.) matters.
- Review and negotiate sales agent and distribution agreements; assist with distribution-related issues.
- Negotiate and draft non-disclosure agreements, service agreements, employment, and other ordinary course-of-business contracts.
- Negotiate and draft branded entertainment agreements, ad/sales agreements, commercial production services agreement and oversee all related production legal matters.
- Manage option calendar.
- Supervise outside counsel, paralegal and clerical subordinates in the performance of legal, business and compliance-related tasks.
- Licensure in California
- Prior experience in the digital media and/or entertainment industry
- Superior legal drafting skills, with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of copyright, trademark, and privacy law
- Experience working with creators/talent and content owners (e.g., major studios, networks, local producers, individuals)
- A strong understanding of how the technology, internet and entertainment industries intersect