Attorney General Eric Holder meets with students at the law school.
UNC dual degree students Natasha Duarte, Kevin Delaney, and PhD student Liz Woolery take on First Amendment, privacy and policy issues during their summer in D.C.
At the University of North Carolina, you can pursue unique academic opportunities to study journalism, media policy, and law, and examine how these three areas intersect. Students may select from a wide range of courses related to media law and media policy and can gain practical experience addressing issues that will be at the center of major legal and policy debates now and in the years to come. Students enrolled at the UNC School of Law and UNC School of Media and Journalism may specialize in media law, and a dual M.A./J.D. degree program is offered in connection with the center. Check out these links for more information on what YOU can do at UNC:
- Take in-depth classes in media law and related subjects
- Get hands-on experience practicing media law in the first class of its kind in the country that embeds law students in journalism producing projects
- Study with nationally known professors and scholars in Journalism, Media Law, First Amendment Law, Cyberlaw, Privacy Law, Copyright, Trademark Law, Media Policy, and a multitude of other areas
- Gain practical work experience, including Pro Bono opportunities through the law school, internships for credit during the year, and paid internship positions during the summer
- Support your work with scholarships and other funding opportunities.
- Get access to Summer Grants that will allow you to take unpaid or low-paying summer jobs in the area of media law or media policy (you can read about the summer experiences of your fellow students on the center’s blog)
- Attend academic and social events on and around campus that bring in leaders in the media law and intellectual property fields
- Live in an affordable and beautiful community close to multiple centers of research and major cities such as Raleigh, Charlotte, Richmond, and Washington, DC