As Copyright Counsel at Google, you work on the most exciting legal issues as disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. You're part of a whip-smart group of in-house lawyers and the projects and cases you take on challenge you to think big and differently. You are collaborative -- ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company. As an integrated part of the team, you proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will not only move information into the 21st century, but move information law forward as well.
As Copyright Counsel, you will apply your subject-matter expertise in copyright law to Google’s vast product offering, in ways large and small. Our innovative product teams need sound advice about what the law requires. You will participate in high-level strategy relating to litigation, public policy, and public communications.
You will need knowledge of US copyright law, as well as fluency and judgment in current business and technology issues relevant to the company. You will also be called upon to display creativity, quick-wittedness, a sense of humor, and the ability to work across several shifting teams.
20th century laws don't always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for handling some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you're a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you take on unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
- Engage with legal, public policy, and product engineering colleagues to advise Google on copyright issues in its product development.
- Establish and implement global strategy on copyright issues with a team. Monitor, research, and advise on emerging copyright issues.
- Shape public positions and framing messages and materials for use in advocacy on copyright issues.
- Collaborate with in-house litigation team and outside lawyers on Google’s own litigation, and monitor copyright developments in litigation involving other companies.
- Develop and implement anti-piracy strategies to address emerging challenges online, including interfacing with rightsholder partners to identify opportunities for improved collaboration.
- JD degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of relevant post JD attorney level work experience.
- Admitted to the bar in which the role is located in and are in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in the state in which the role is located.
- 5 years of relevant work experience in a law firm or in-house legal department.
- Background in copyright law.
- Expertise in copyright law in foreign jurisdictions.