At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
The Legal Department supports the vision and values of Wells Fargo by providing expert, creative, cost-effective, and timely advice and services to all Wells Fargo businesses and support functions. We operate in accordance with the highest standards of judgment, integrity, and ethical leadership to find creative solutions that best serve our customers, prudently manage risks, and contribute to Wells Fargo’s enterprise success.
The Wells Fargo Legal Department is seeking an experienced Brand & Intellectual Property attorney who will help grow, strengthen and protect the company’s brand assets and its position as a global leader in brand value. This is a multi-faceted role where you will join a team of attorneys and paralegals who are responsible for providing strategic legal support for brand, marketing, trademark, copyright and related intellectual property matters and that interact with all business groups within Wells Fargo to support enterprise-wide risk management activities and practices related to those areas. You will be working directly with business units responsible for development and management of the company’s brand strategy, naming, sponsorships, integrated marketing, social and digital capabilities and analytics. As part of your job responsibilities, you will be expected to offer practical legal advice informed by business alternatives and strategies, ethical considerations, and an analysis of the risks to the business clients.
Major responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide legal guidance and support on a broad range of marketing and advertising efforts across the company.
- Provide comprehensive guidance on Wells Fargo's domestic and international portfolio of trademarks, copyrights, and related intellectual property matters.
- Directing and managing work with outside counsel related to trademark and copyright matters.
- Provide legal advice on the licensing activities, merger and acquisition activities and other strategic brand and intellectual property initiatives across Wells Fargo’s global enterprise.
- Offer sound strategies and solutions to novel legal issues in the emerging media space.
- Provide transactional and due diligence support, client training and policy development and enforcement on intellectual property and marketing matters.
- Conduct training on brand, marketing, trademark, copyright, social media, reputation and/or other legal topics.
- Build relationships with key internal business units whose work is impacted by marketing and intellectual property.
- Develop tools, policies, processes, resources and checklists for use by business clients as needed.
- Participate in industry working groups as appropriate to gain an understanding of legal risks and trends in the brand, marketing, trademark and copyright space.
- Support team or company-wide legal or strategic projects and initiatives, as necessary.
The job description may not represent all the duties of the Counsel 3 with other related duties being assigned as needed. The position is available in San Francisco, CA, Charlotte, NC, Minneapolis, MN or other Wells Fargo locations at the option of the hiring manager.
- 5+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Active State Bar membership
- A Juris Doctor(JD) degree
- Ability to analyze legal issues in substantive law in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of research, counsel, and guidance on complex legal questions or inquiries
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Effective organizational, multi tasking, and prioritizing skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and deadlines
- Experience developing and cultivating professional relationships
- Ability to quickly establish credibility to build and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to think strategically, implement, and deliver business objectives
- Financial services industry experience
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and across all organizational levels, where flexibility, collaboration, and adaptability are important
- Ability to take on a high level of responsibility, initiative, and accountability
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities
Other Desired Qualifications
- Experience in trademark counseling including on strategy, clearance, prosecution, enforcement and/or infringement matters.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex intellectual property concepts to a wide range of constituencies.
- Familiarity with a broad range of marketing and consumer protection laws.
- Ability to anticipate and understand implications of agreements and contractual provisions including identifying and assessing potential benefits, risks and practical solutions.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively draft routine and complex licenses, disclosures and terms and conditions, and oversee intellectual property and marketing legal issues for a wide variety of contracts such as major sponsorships, talent agreements, third party licensing and agency agreements.
- Understanding of and ability to provide strategic support on copyright law matters.
- Experience or willingness to learn about developing corporate policies, processes and procedures
- Experience providing direction, guidance, training and resources to paralegals and/or relevant support staff.
- Combination of law firm and in-house experience
- Be versatile and willing to take on a wide variety of work.
- Familiarity with online trademark databases for domestic and international searches, such as SAEGIS.
- Experience in marketing and intellectual property law risk management in social media or new media initiatives
- Knowledge of sweepstakes, contests, cause marketing and/or other promotional laws.
- A sense of humor and passion for branding.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a practicing attorney advising clients on brand and trademark legal issues.
- Membership in good standing in at least one state bar