At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
Lyft is looking for a bright, energetic, and self-motivated attorney with at least 8-10 years of relevant IP experience to join our expanding Legal Team. You will report to the Managing Counsel for Intellectual Property and support various IP initiatives such as IP counseling (including ownership, licensing, and indemnification guidance) for commercial, research, joint ventures, and corporate agreements, supporting transactional teams on complex IP agreement, contributing to our patent acquisition strategy, managing the open source program, and when needed, advising on patent portfolio development. The successful candidate will be fast-moving, pragmatic, have a sense of humor, and comfortable working in an ambiguous, quickly-changing, and sometimes chaotic environment, with a high workload.
- Advise and assist in drafting IP-centric agreements including joint development and collaboration, IP acquisitions, open innovation activities, university research, and inbound and outbound license agreements
- Provide broad-based strategic and portfolio advice as well as counseling key stakeholders in protecting and defending IP rights worldwide
- Contribute to and execute on patent acquisition strategy
- Manage Lyft’s open source program
- Contribute to patent portfolio development strategy
Experience & Skills:
- Must be a member of the Patent Bar and have substantial understanding of patent law outside of litigation
- Strong preference is given to candidates with prior in-house experience and experience with hardware and/or software agreements
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, judgment, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving workplace
- Ability to think quickly on your feet, convey grace under pressure, and simultaneously manage complex workloads, multiple client demands, and shifting priorities
- Be a resourceful self-starter and have a passion for results. Embody Lyft’s culture, and operate with high standards and ethics
- An understanding of the transportation and ridesharing industries, as well as the autonomous industry
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.