Working with the Principle Investigator, Associate Professor Zeynep Tufekci, in an interdisciplinary environment to study the social, political and cultural impacts of digital technology, especially with regards to conflict, polarization, and instability. Strong research, analysis, and writing skills are used and required for this position.
This position will assist the PI in studying how digital connectivity, artificial intelligence, and the technology industry intersect in terms of social, political and cultural dynamics, with emphasis on Global South but also including Western nations and liberal democracies. There will be special emphasis on the role of surveillance, security and encryption in mediating these dynamics.
- Carrying out research on how artificial intelligence and digital technologies are transforming social, political and cultural dynamics in various societies.
- Show interest in, and ability to conceptually think about how technical developments, practices and affordances interact with dynamics of human societies, especially including conflict, violence and instability. This is a core job requirement.
- Researching relevant news and incidents on the above topics.
- Assisting the PI in assessing literature and, conducting field and other research.
- Creation and writing of bibliographies, reports and papers based on the research and investigations.
Ph.D required in Social Science or related field. Research interests with a focus on how digital technologies and their economic structure interact with social, political and cultural dynamics in various societies is a plus.
Qualifications and Experience
Competency in social science, its methods including qualitative and/or quantitative methods. Familiarity with the research and literature in how digital technologies and artificial intelligence interact with social, political and cultural dynamics around the world. Strong writing/communication skills are crucial. Must be able to think and work independently but also in close interaction within a multidisciplinary team.
Industry background/experience/familiarity and/or technical background, technical aspects of digital technologies and/or computer science is a plus.
Salary Range: $47,476-55,000