Date(s) - 09/29/2015
2:00 pm - 3:15 pm
Freedom Forum Conference Center on the Third Floor of Carroll Hall
Carolina’s student journalists complain about their limited access to student athletes. Three student journalists and Steve Kirschner will discuss the limitations on media access to student athletes and the reasons for them. They also will discuss the University policies restricting student athletes’ use of social media.
Kirschner is the senior associate athletic director for communications at Carolina. He directs strategic communication for the athletic department and oversees media relations and communication for the Tar Heel men’s basketball program.
These are the other panelists:
- Paige Ladisic, editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel and senior journalism and political science major from Oak Island, N.C.
- Paul Beam, reporter and graphic designer for Sports Xtra. Paul is a sophomore broadcast journalism major and music minor from Belmont, N.C.
- Danielle Wallace, a reporter for Sports Xtra. Danielle is a junior broadcast journalism and political science double major with a minor in Hispanic Studies. She is from Waxhaw, N.C.
- Amanda Martin, a media law attorney in the firm of Stevens Martin Vaughn & Tadych in Raleigh. Her firm represents several media outlets in the area, including The Daily Tar Heel.
- Jessa O’Connor will moderate the panel. She is a junior broadcast journalism major from Charlotte, N.C.
This event was organized by Cathy Packer, W. Horace Carter Distinguished Professor in the UNC School of Media and Journalism and co-director of the UNC Center for Media Law and Policy.
Tagged: 1AD2015, First Amendment Day