Zynga is seeking a proactive, collaborative, and creative privacy attorney to join its legal department’s product compliance team as a key advisor to Zynga’s game and support teams on a wide range of privacy, data protection, and security-related legal and compliance issues.
Since its founding in 2007, Zynga’s mission has been to connect the world through games. To date, more than 1 billion people around the world have played Zynga’s games. Zynga’s games are available on a number of web and mobile platforms and include FarmVille, Zynga Poker, Words With Friends, Hit it Rich! Slots, and CSR Racing. The company is headquartered in San Francisco, and has additional offices in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Ireland, India, Turkey, and Finland.
As part of Legal’s product compliance team, you will be the primary attorney leading our privacy compliance and data protection efforts globally. You’ll help our business teams to move quickly while remaining within legal requirements and our global privacy standards. You will also partner closely with our security team to create policies and procedures protecting company data. You’ll build upon our growing global data protection compliance program to ensure company-wide compliance with international data protection and privacy laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Lead our growing global data protection compliance program to ensure company-wide compliance with international data protection and privacy laws
- Develop internal controls and conduct periodic self-assessments to ensure the Company is meeting its data protection obligations and standards
- Review business activities that collect, use, process, disclose, or dispose of data for compliance with law, policy, and best practices
- Be responsible for data protection impact assessments and records of processing activities for GDPR.
- Work cross-functionally across Zynga to develop privacy ambassadors and to create internal programs promoting privacy standards as a metric for success
- Draft policies and procedures related to privacy and data protection
- Conduct periodic privacy and data protection trainings
- Concisely articulate Zynga’s privacy positions in documents and meetings
- Work closely with others in Legal to provide risk-based advice on the privacy impact of new product launches, marketing and communication practices, etc.
- Conduct privacy due diligence reviews and prepare any necessary privacy impact assessments and integration plans for potential acquisitions, licenses, and other partnerships
- Advise on privacy and data security provisions of third-party customer and vendor contracts
- Support security and other teams in responding to any data security incident responses
- Maintain expertise in data and privacy law and advise on the impact of the same on the business
- Proactively analyze new laws or proposed regulations to identify any necessary modifications to our current program or practices
Qualifications & Skills
- D. with outstanding academic credentials
- Member in good standing of the California Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel
- 5+ years of relevant privacy and data protection experience
- Extensive experience advising on domestic and global privacy issues, including the GDPR, Privacy Shield, ePrivacy directive, Section 5 of FTC Act relating to privacy, anti-spam laws, and cookie regulations.
- Knowledge of global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially those relevant for ecommerce, ad tech, and Internet companies
- Knowledge of social privacy issues (identity, friends, and family)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to inform an audience accurately and completely, while being concise and digestible
- Thrive at leading cross-functional projects, and partnering in active product and business development
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills necessary to analyze regulatory requirements, product limitations, and the effectiveness of proposed resolutions
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple fast-moving and high-priority projects simultaneously
- Impeccable business judgment, and flexibility/adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters, conflicting deadlines, and new areas of expertise as business needs change
- Proven ability to build relationships and consensus amongst cross-functional and cross-level groups, and to bring initiatives to conclusion
- Pluses: experience with international product development and launch issues, mobile apps, social products, ad tech, data governance, document retention, or COPPA