The National Hispanic Media Coalition (NHMC) is a media advocacy and civil rights organization for the advancement of Latinos, working towards a media that is fair and inclusive of Latinos. NHMC was established in Los Angeles in 1986 and currently has two offices: its headquarters in Pasadena, California, and an office in Washington, D.C. NHMC is a national organization.
The Policy Counsel will work closely with NHMC’s DC-based policy team to advance NHMC’s agenda. The Policy Counsel will work on complex legal and policy issues, and may be called upon to draft FCC pleadings, internal memoranda, press releases, blog posts, editorials, and other documents as needed. The Policy Counsel will attend meetings with decision makers at the FCC and in Congress, as well as meetings with media reform and civil rights activists. This position reports directly to the VP of Policy & General Counsel.
A sample of duties include:
- Promote NHMC’s policy agenda and represent NHMC at public-facing events, speaking engagements, panels, and media opportunities;
- Compose administrative filings, memos, FCC filings and other documents as needed;
- Conduct factual and legal research;
- Establish relationships with and inform lawmakers, regulators, and non-profit groups on impact of media and telecommunications policies on Latinos;
- Prepare blog posts, editorials, press releases and articles to explain NHMC’s work in accessible terms;
- Negotiate and draft memoranda of understanding with industry groups;
- Proofread, cite check, and Blue Book external filings;
- Build a working knowledge of federal agency practices and procedures;
- Fulfill any other research/policy needs that may arise; and
- The Policy Counsel performs a wide range of job duties as assigned and requested.
- The Policy Counsel should be a licensed attorney to practice law in the United States and willing to waive into Washington, D.C. Other non-attorney applicants will be considered for a Policy Associate position in exceptional circumstances;
- Bachelor’s degree required, JD preferred, other graduate degrees considered based on relevance
- Excellent oral, written, analytical, research, and interpersonal communications skills;
- Leadership skills with experience working in a diverse team environment;
- Demonstrated or stated commitment to Internet, technology, and media policy;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently, and work resourcefully in a fast-paced environment;
- Requires good judgment and ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision;
- Demonstrated ability to manage effective relationships with staff and allied organizations;
- Energetic outlook and commitment to NHMC’s mission;
- Weekend and after hours may be required occasionally;
- Must be available for travel. Estimate of 10%;
- Previous experience with social media, writing press releases, newsletters, eblasts, and blog posts preferred but not required;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish skills preferred.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) October 31, 2018. Please include a cover letter, C.V., and a list of three references with your application. For questions, please contact Derigan.Silver@du.edu.
Salary and Benefits: Salary for this position is commensurate with the successful candidate’s relevant professional experience. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes full health care coverage, dental, vision, 401k retirement plan, parental leave, and paid time off.
NHMC strives towards a fair and inclusive media through professional development programs, such as its Writers Program, regular interaction with top industry executives that includes analysis of internal employment data provided to NHMC pursuant to Memoranda of Understanding with ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and Comcast, and rapid response campaigns. NHMC pushes for universal, affordable and open access to communications through federal policy advocacy, research, and public education campaigns. To learn more about NHMC, please visit www.nhmc.org.
Candidates can apply online here.
The original posting can be viewed here.