Thomson Reuters is hiring a media lawyer and litigator to support Reuters. The attorney will counsel on laws affecting newsgathering and publication, intellectual property, dispute resolution and litigation. This is a global role based in New York City or London.
Reuters is the world’s leading international news agency, reaching more than one billion people every day. We deliver real-time, award-winning news coverage to the financial community, news and media publishers and broadcasters, brands and consumers. Reuters covers a broad range of topics, including business, finance, politics, sports and technology. The hallmarks of Reuters’ journalism are speed, impartiality and insight.
The counsel's responsibilities will include:
- Advise Reuters’ 2,500 journalists in nearly 160+ locations worldwide on laws affecting publication
- Provide prepublication review
- Counsel journalists on newsgathering and access to information
- Counsel on copyright and other intellectual property matters
- Respond to subpoenas and other third-party requests for information
- Respond to post-publication threats and challenges
- Resolve disputes and oversee litigation filed by and against Reuters
- Ensure compliance with the Trust Principles, which reflect Reuters’ commitment to integrity, independence and freedom from bias
- Monitor developments affecting the press, freedom of speech, and publication around the world.
- Significant post-qualification experience managing litigation and advising clients in the news and media industry.
- Significant understanding of media law and ethics and the news and media industry.
- Strong background in copyright and intellectual property.
- Ability to communicate with journalists and lawyers across diverse geographies and cultures.
- Demonstrated ability to give timely, clear and practical legal advice that will enable Reuters to responsibly publish high-quality news of value to our customers.
- Ability to thrive as part of a diverse, global team.
- Can effectively select and manage external counsel around the world.
- Strong work ethic with ability to work independently, prioritize and meet deadlines and demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated passion for supporting the publication of independent global news in the public interest.
- Deep understanding of Reuters’ core values of independence, integrity and freedom from bias.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of integrity and professionalism.
- Law degree and current practicing lawyer.
- Written and verbal communication skills in additional languages.
- Adaptable and prepared to contribute to areas outside core expertise.
- Judicial clerkship.
Interested applicants can apply here.