Publishing and commercial lawyer who provides legal advice and support in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, geographically dispersed business environment. The team within the larger Group Legal Team in which this position sits provides proactive legal support while managing day to day legal risk for the Academic division, which accounts for over one third of OUP's worldwide turnover.
- Aligned with the business and as required by the Assistant General Counsel, Academic division, provide proactive legal support on all matters (except employment law matters) to support the division’s and Press’s opportunities, goals and aspirations while ensuring minimization of legal risk and compliance with the law.
- Deliver practical legal advice and pragmatic solutions to the division with the aim of adding value and being proactive and collaborative, including problem solving, promoting simplification, advocacy, supporting sound decision-making, securing financial savings or benefits, reducing litigation exposure, and otherwise.
- Draft wide range of standard agreements for use by Academic, and train the business on their use, to enable the business to advance their goals with proportionate controls, including on risk, while minimizing need for bespoke legal support.
- Draft, negotiate, and advise on wide range of non-standard agreements (digital and print publishing, licensing, distribution, operations, and other areas); advise on contract, copyright, defamation and privacy law; provide day to day advice to Academic in the UK, US, Canada, India and elsewhere as required.
- Address and resolve claims and, with external legal support, help manage litigation: promptly and effectively resolve pre-litigation claims, instructing external lawyers as appropriate, to ensure timely and cost-effective legal advice and instruct outside counsel on litigation matters.
- Monitor and advise on legislative and industry developments affecting Academic to assist the business in addressing these developments.
- Provide legal services in a professional, proportionate, and cost-efficient manner, using an appropriate balance of internal and external resource.
- Provide day to day legal advice to the Divisional Compliance Officer in Academic to support the DCO's anti-bribery and corruption compliance programme.
- Ensure matters within Academic which affect the Press as a whole and/or affect the Academic division are referred to the General Counsel, Academic.
- Lawyer licensed and in good standing to practice law in New York State with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Legal experience and know-how in key areas (copyright, trademark, privacy, data protection, defamation, and commercial contracts) is essential, ideally gained in private practice and in-house, prior publishing experience is desirable.
- Ability to communicate well at all levels in the organization.
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, problem solving, and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage high volume of wide-ranging, multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills and flexibility needed to work as part of a small but busy in-house team liaising with transatlantic colleagues is essential.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Candidates can apply online here.