The Institute for Technology and Society of Rio de Janeiro invites researchers, students and professionals working with technology policy to apply to its Global Policy Fellowship Program and spend four weeks* in Brazil at ITS Rio. Last year, we welcomed six fellows, who gave valuable contributions to the success of the Fellowship Program.
Our Global Fellows will have the opportunity to work with the team who created and developed Brazil’s Internet Bill of Rights (Marco Civil da Internet), a bill that guarantees and promotes the protection of fundamental rights, including privacy, net neutrality and freedom of expression, which was approved as law in Brazil in April 2014. Furthermore, they will be able to choose one of our four main areas of work to develop their research in, namely:
- Democracy & Technology (artificial intelligence, civic engagement, online participation, and others)
- Rights & Technology (self-sovereign identity, digital identity, a.i., connectivity, freedom of expression, privacy and others topics on Internet regulation)
- Education (intellectual property, digital entrepreneurship, online teaching, and others)
- Rethinking Innovation (new models of development, blockchain, entrepreneurship, and others)
ITS Fellowship Program will offer the opportunity for those interested in internet and technology policy to deepen their knowledge about the Brazilian technology context. We have prepared an intensive 4-week* program for our fellows, which includes meeting ITS Rio partners in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo in order to have the opportunity to visit some of the largest national and international technology companies operating in Brazil as well as governmental entities and exchange ideas, projects and research with those institutions.
See the list of our former fellows here.
ITS Global Fellows are expected to:
- Make a short presentation to ITS Rio’s team about their research topics and professional experiences;
- Publish at least one short article or web post about their experience as a fellow in Brazil;
- Collaborate with ITS Rio’s team and its projects and publications;
- Engage in talks and meetings with lawyers, policymakers, press and industry representatives on their topic; Identify research projects with ITS team; Give a lecture during the summer school (International School of Law and Technology) organized by ITS with the partnership of the University of Montréal, addressing the areas of law and technology that will take place in Rio de Janeiro from July 16th to July 20th (the class plan should be ready or in the process of being ready by the time fellows arrive in Brazil);
- The class plan should be ready or in the process of being ready by the time fellows arrive in Brazil. Suggested topics include: artificial intelligence, big data, internet of things, algorithms, broadband and access policy, content regulation, copyrights and creativity, consumer privacy, open government, government surveillance, data security, freedom of expression, democracy and technology, human rights, innovation, open leadership, education and culture.
Who should apply?
We are looking for MBA, Master’s, and PhD students, researchers, and professionals who are following the debates in the public policy field, and who want to spend part of their summer or winter in Brazil, learning about Internet policy. People from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Registration valid only for foreigners; Portuguese skills are not required (but English is mandatory). We’ll reserve two positions for NoC’s researchers.
For the selection processes, you must:
Complete the form (click here)
In the form we will ask you for your complete academic and professional resume, including LinkedIn profile and other online references you want us to consider.
Fellowship package includes:
- Flight tickets to São Paulo and accommodation in São Paulo during the days of our visit;
- Shared office space at our headquarters for four weeks*;
- A one-week course with immersion in subjects related to law and technology;
- Intensive 4-week* program for the fellows:
- 1st week: introduction to the ITS fellows and their own projects + introduction to the ITS team and to ITS projects;
- 2nd week: International School of Law and Technology (a one-week immersion course in subjects related to law and technology + fellows’ lectures);
- 3rd week: trip to São Paulo (including visits to some of the largest national and international technology companies operating in Brazil);
- 4th week: meetings with ITS partners in Rio de Janeiro + fellowship brainstorming and feedback.
Fellowship package does not include:
- International travelling to and from Brazil;
- Accommodation during the four weeks* in Rio de Janeiro, where our program takes place;
- Other costs related to your stay in Brazil, besides those mentioned above.
- Visa fees (if necessary).
Our team will provide information about how to find accommodation in the city during the fellows' stay.
Application deadline: March 03rd, 2018.
Announcement of fellows by e-mail: April 02nd, 2018; Fellowship Program starts: July 09th, and finishes in August 03rd, 2018*
* Fellows are expected to stay in Rio from July 09th to August 03rd. Fellows can coordinate with ITS Rio the possibility of staying for a longer term before or after this period if they wish. Visa and related costs for additional stay should be arranged by the fellows.
If you need any further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org