Funny Or Die ™ is looking for an entertainment attorney with production experience to join the company as an attorney.
The individual will act as counsel for various productions (new media, film, tv – mostly scripted and some unscripted) and support the legal needs of various divisions: short form and long form development, production, distribution, editorial digital video, branded entertainment, commercial, ad/sales, and our DC office.
The individual will have exposure to all aspects of the entertainment industry, such as scripted television, shiny floor variety/talk show, unscripted/reality, documentary-style and feature-length films, digital and other audiovisual projects, and music.
Further, the candidate will also assist with non-entertainment related issues, such as corporate formation and preparation of corporate documents, business transactions, employment matters, and other legal issues that arise.
Reports To: SVP/Head of Legal and Business Affairs
Job Duties Include:
- Draft and negotiate above and below-the-line agreements for film, television and other audiovisual projects.
- Review, draft and negotiate development agreements, such as rights acquisition agreements (e.g., options, shopping agreements co-production agreements, etc.)
- Assist in drafting and negotiating production contracts and releases including talent and participant agreements, materials releases, guest appearance releases, and location releases.
- Assist with clearance of projects, such as drafting and negotiating licensing agreements with respect to use of third-party content, conducting review of creative decks, footage, episodes, and films to advise on levels of risk related to copyright, trademark, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of publicity rights, and other potential legal claims.
- Assist with union/guild (e.g., SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA, IATSE, etc.) matters and related issues.
- Review and negotiate sales agent and distribution agreements; assist with distribution-related issues.
- Negotiate and draft non-disclosure agreements, service agreements, employment, and other ordinary course-of-business contracts.
- Negotiate and draft branded entertainment agreements, ad/sales agreements, commercial production services agreement and oversee all related production legal matters.
- Manage option calendar.
- Supervise outside counsel, paralegal and clerical subordinates in the performance of legal, business and compliance-related tasks.
- Preferably has at least two (2) - four (4) years of experience at an entertainment law firm, network, studio, distribution company, agency, or production company, specifically including production legal experience on television shows, films and/or digital projects.
- Scripted TV production legal experience is required.
- Strong academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school and California Bar admission.
- Exposure to and an understanding of matters relating to intellectual property, particularly copyright law.
- A positive, tenacious and energetic can-do attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Meticulous/Passionate attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- An excellent work ethic and commitment to professionalism.
- Must be willing to take ownership of projects and think proactively.
- Analytical, problem-solving, negotiation, strategic thinking, and legal reasoning skills.
- Strong project management, time management, and long-term planning skills.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Eligible to practice law in California (Required)
This listing is only present on third-party sites. Click here to apply.