Date(s) - 11/18/2022
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
George Watts Hill Alumni Center, University of North Carolina
On November 18, 2022, the Center for Media Law and Policy will be joining with the First Amendment Law Review to present a symposium on “The First Amendment Jurisprudence of Justice Stephen Breyer.” Stephen G. Breyer served as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1994 until his retirement in 2022. Over his nearly three decades as a Supreme Court justice, Breyer cultivated a reputation for pragmatism, especially with regard to the First Amendment.
Come join us on November 18 to hear some of the nation’s leading First Amendment scholars talk about Justice Breyer’s views on the First Amendment and the legacy his enormous body of jurisprudence will likely have on future Supreme Court decisions regarding the First Amendment.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Enrique Armijo, Professor of Law, Elon Law
- Clay Calvert, Brechner Eminent Scholar in Mass Communication, Director, Marion B. Brechner First Amendment Project, University of Florida
- Guy-Uriel Charles, Charles Ogletree, Jr. Professor of Law, Director, Charles Hamilton Institute for Race and Justice, Duke Law
- Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean and Jesse H. Choper Distinguished Professor of Law at Berkeley Law
- Laura Dickinson, Oswald Symister Colclough Research Professor of Law, GW Law
- Richard W. Garnett, Paul J. Schierl/Fort Howard Corporation Professor of Law, Concurrent Professor of Political Science, Director, Program on Church, State & Society, University of Notre Dame
- William P. Marshall, William Rand Kenan Jr. Distinguished Professor of Law, UNC School of Law
- Mary-Rose Papandrea, Samuel Ashe Distinguished Professor of Constitutional Law, UNC School of Law
- Robert C. Post, Sterling Professor of Law, Yale Law School
- Russell Robinson, Walter Perry Johnson Professor of Law. Faculty Director, Center on Race, Sexuality & Culture, Berkeley Law
- Micah J. Schwartzman, Hardy Cross Dillard Professor of Law, Roy L. and Rosamond Woodruff Morgan Professor of Law, Director, Karsh Center for Law and Democracy, University of Virginia
- Geoffrey R. Stone, Edward H. Levi Distinguished Service Professor of Law, University of Chicago
- Alexander Tsesis, Raymond & Mary Simon Chair in Constitutional Law and Professor of Law, Loyola University of Chicago
To register, please go to the First Amendment Law Review’s event page.
Tagged: FALR, First Amendment, Symposia