The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With over 670,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members.
As Senior Counsel for ASCAP, you will work as part of the Business & Legal Affairs department on a variety of complex licensing transactions. This position is based in New York and reports to the Senior Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Structure, draft and negotiate repertory license agreements on all platforms (e.g., broadcast, cable, satellite and terrestrial radio, digital audio-only and audio - visual media, general (i.e. commercial establishments, concert venues, etc.), confidentiality agreements, services agreements, acquisition agreements, member agreements, promotion agreements, work for hire agreements and agreements related to joint ventures / strategic alliances
- Advise and counsel licensing and other client groups on a variety of complex business and legal matters
- Ability to multi-task, cover a high volume of deals, and work independently to structure, negotiate and expeditiously close complex media licensing transactions.
- Knowledge of entertainment/digital industry and related legal trends and business practices.
- Preferred experience in many of the following areas: copyright, music related rights, distribution, licensing, entertainment, media and internet law.
- Excellent transactional drafting, negotiation and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships within department and throughout ASCAP.
- The ability to analyze and synthesize information and devise alternative resolution strategies.
- A strong work ethic and a bias towards action, change, speed and revenue growth strategies.
- J.D. and a minimum of 4 years of relevant, transactional legal experience at a large law firm and/or in house entertainment or technology/distribution sector company.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
- A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
- Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
- Generous time-off policy
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Long term disability insurance
- Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
- Employer paid retirement savings program